Saturday, December 25, 2010

Travels: Thailand 2010 Day 1-2

Day 1
First time going overseas alone, so I was a bit lost. First, I'd assumed that since I was taking a budget airline, my flight would have been at the Budget Terminal. I only discovered otherwise after I'd arrived and realised, "My flight isn't listed here!"

Boy, following that was pure mad rush. I was just slightly early when I arrived at the Budget Terminal, so I speed-walked to T1 after taking the bus to T2. I almost died. But I made it!

Taking a breather while waiting to board the plane. Secretly excited.
Arrived in Bangkok! Hooray!
Peeraphat came to bring me to my dorm. I arrived really late without any dinner, so I had dinner at some restaurant near my dorm. It was almost 1am!
Grabbed some water at Family Mart (Thailand's 7-11) and settled down in my dorm room (it is HUGE). Bathed and Slept!

Day 2 - Wat Pho, Wat Phra Kaew, and a whole load of temples
Woke up SUPER early. Slacked in my room for a while, then cabbed to Wat Pho!
First Cabbie. He's a nice person!
On the way there... The place ain't near plus it was in the morning when everyone was going to work and school, so it took quite a while. Though not too long still, maybe about 30 minutes.
Arrived!
When I arrived, it was too early. It was past the stated opening hours but I guess they don't really open on time. Most of the doors to the statues etc were still locked so I just walked around the entire place. It was a really sunny and hot day.

"The Sala Karn Parien was built in the Ayutthaya period as the main chapel of Wat Phodhraram and was later restored in the reign of King Rama III. The principal Buddha image of Wat Phodharam named Phra Buddha Sassada was once enshrined here."




The Reclining Buddha. "The building is constructed for containing the important buddha image, the Reclining Buddha of the reign of King Rama III. This is the largest and most beautiful peiece of art of a Buddha image in a reclining position found in Thailand. The mother-of-persal inlay at the feet of the image of of Thai-Chinese style, as indicated by 108 auspicious signs protraying natural scenes of both India and China."
It is huge! Photo taken by my tourguide.
This is the feet and the "mother-of-pearl." The mother-of-pearl refers to the circular thing in the middle.
For 20 baht, you get a bowl of 100 coins.
You put one in each of these pots as a form of blessing.

Other tourists doing the same.
For a sum of money, you can get some gold film to paste on the buddha for good luck.

"The Pavilion is the library of the Thai traditional message inscriptions. There are also inscriptions of the first Thai proverbs, Thai literature, and portrait of the Royal Kathin Procession."

The Satellite Pavilion.
Next, I got to this part with many buddhas.
And a huge one! I don't know the name though. I think I wrote it down in my travel journal, but I chucked it recently during my spring-cleaning hahaha!



Thursday's Buddha. They have one for each day, each one in a different position. Mine's the one with palms outstretched, signifying acceptance and forgiveness.

(It's based on the day of your birth.)

My tourguide.
After my tour ended, I visited the fortune teller. It was a scam at 26 bucks and a whole load of crap which was obvious. I sneezed, and he immediately told me I might have health issues with my nose and allergies.
Walked around the area.

I then walked to Wat Phra Kaew, the Grand Palace. Along the way, you'll see many road-side stalls here selling loads of stuff, mostly Buddha pendants.
Almost nearing the entrance!
Rich schoolgirls.
I arrived!
My tickets!
Wall mural.
Everything there is gold!

Taken by a group of schoolgirls who surveyed me for their English lessons.

Them!
It was very warm there, reason being it was a sunny and hot day, and everything there is gold and reflects the light off themselves onto you!
The famous Emerald Buddha. It's really tiny, as you can see. It's inside the box right on top of the pagoda. It's not really emerald though, it's jade, but the person who discovered it thought it was emerald. It's quite unique still, since most buddhas in Thailand are coated in gold or made of gold but this buddha is totally green.

Me! :D


Model of Angkor Wat.
Just found this pretty unique. There are dozens of such statues, in different forms, all over.


The Amaria Winitchia Throne Hall.



Cute Swedish (?) kid. I can't remember where he was from, but I think he's swedish. I chatted with him, his sister and brother.
I moved on to another part of Grand Palace. This part has more colonial-style buildings.

Weapons Meseum.
Wasn't allowed to bring my camera into the Museum, so only photos of the exterior!

Chakri Maha Prasat Hall. The guards were changing shift; it's interesting to watch. And I was pretty amazed by the guards because they didn't even blink??? They just stood like, really, really still.

Another camwhoring shot!


Another hall. With this I ended my tour in Wat Phra Kaew, and proceeded to the coin museum.
I had free entry from the visit to Wat Phra Kaew. Again, no photos.

After this, walked around the area.
Spotted another temple.
It's really tiny though.
Passed by a university.
It is HUGE! I wanted to go in and have a look, but decided against it because I had no guts hahaha!
Arrived at the National Museum!
Taken by a group of schoolboys on excursion.


Peeraphat came to meet me after his lessons.
And we cabbed to the Golden Mount!
You have to climb this huge flight of stairs to get to the top. Which is really a temple.
Ring the bells for luck and blessings!
Sound the gong for more blessings!
The view from the top.

Draw lots.

I got this! Doesn't seem good._.


Next, he brought me to some other temple.
Can't remember the name.
Taking dumb fail-shots.


Loads of buddhas for the day. Peeraphat then brought me back to Siam, where we met up with his friends, Teety and Gun.
Dinner. Chinese food. It's quite cheap. :D
The girl's Teety and the guy's Gun. Gun's really cute and friendly. :D

Cabbed back to my dorm and bathed and slept!

Labels: