Saturday, March 17, 2007

Huang Cheng Ye Yun

on the first saturday of march holidays, I went to watch HCJC CL's performance at Victoria Theatre.

It consists of 3 stories, and lasted about 3hours. Before the show I expected a lot from them because after all it's been running for 20 odd years already. And according to Ming Ming, it's really good. I trusted Ming Ming enough to buy tickets to watch it.

Yups, the stories are quite nice, pretty good storylines, albeit being a bit predictable.

First Story: Choon Yen was the lead actress. It was a nice show, but very very very draggy. I felt that it could have been shortened, such that emotions are expressed via acting, not speech. And I don't know why, but Choon Yen sounded like she was shouting the whole time, which made me feel really uncomfortable. The lead actor was better at voice projection, he was audible and didn't sound like he was shouting. Also, the humour was quite low-class, didn't expect that from HCJC. But I really liked the auntie's story with her husband, that part really made me cry.

Second Story: Predictable ending. Quite Crap. Though I liked the short 5 minute skit during the transition from the 1st show to the second show. The short skit (which stands alone) was short, succint, and well paced.

Third Story: Again, it was quite predictable. But I must say this show alone saved Huang Cheng's 20++ years of good reputation. It started off well, and ended off just fine, not too bad... I liked the poorboy's acting too.