Sunday, April 16, 2006

16 April 2006

Saturday
We had flag day CIP today. Anyway, we went down to Chinatown and a lot of uncles and aunties donated.

I was very grateful to all those who donated because it was very tiring and I was just saying "Excuse me, would you like to donate? This is to help the needy pupils to pay their school fees." in English and Chinese and sometimes Cantonese for the whole 3 hours I was there.

I even had to quote the "Prophet Mohammed Birthday Memorial Scholarship Fund Board" when the people grew suspicious and squinted at the PLMB thingy on the can, which does not stand for the fund's name, but the organization's name.

To everyone I said that, plus the "Thank you"s, "Xie Xie"s, "Xie Xie ni de shan xin"s and "dor zhair"s. And I smiled and smiled and smiled. At the end of the day, Xinran and I both agreed that it was fun and fulfilling, but extremely tiring.

After that we reported at JE MRT Station and went for lunch with Yu Xiao and Jia Min. Ning Xin and En Qi had gone. We went to Long John's :D

Haha, the top 3 kind of people who did not donate at Chinatown:
1) Collared Workers
2) People from other countries, the PRCs and the caucasians
3) Young People

For the collared workers, they like to stick their hands in their pockets and look elsewhere, into the shop windows or on the ground. Some just whipped out their phones and pretending to be talking when they haven't even called anyone and no one has called them.

For the young lads, they just shun us and make a detour or just walk away staring at us innocently. The people from other countries did not donate because they said they weren't singaporeans. The PRCs who did not donate just made detours and walk away without saying anything. The Caucasians did not donate because they said they did not have Singapore currency and they are usually backpackers. There was one guy who asked what it was for, and said, "Ok!"

Haha, he was nice :D

The top 3 kinds of people who donated:
1) Uncles
2) 50-60 plus year-old Aunties
3) 40 something aunties

I would say that the uncles are the best... A lot of them just gave us a $2 note or lots of coins adding up to at least $3. They are not so stingy about their money. The next top donars are the old aunties. They were very willing to donated once I told them it pays for needy students' school fees. The aunties who just went shopping for groceries were also fairly generous. One donated to Xinran, then to me. She donated quite a lot.

Haha, one more interesting thing... An uncle who was quite free was talking to me. He told me to go home and sleep and get my parents to stuff some money in. He said that such organizations are just treating us as fools and that his grandchildren also did that (go home & sleep and stuff money in). His grandchildren are now overseas and sends him US$900 each every month and that's why he is so free and can sit around. He says he takes cabs now and never buses since he has the money. Haha.... I was like, "Ok, but the school sent me here so I still have to get some donations."

After a while, he offered to treat me to a drink before he left. I rejected it and he said, "Aiyoh, why so ke qi?" in cantonese. Haha... he is quite funny and quite nice though he is a bit crappy... The uncle's about 60-70 years old ba.

After that, I attended Stephanie's church(City Harvest)'s easter celebrations. All her friends were very nice, eg, yunrui, vanessa, peixuan, maple, james etc... By the way, james looked like kah lok. Haha...

Their drama was damned real and it was very scary at the scary parts, all the gore and blood. But it was indeed very real. If we can achieve that kind of standard, I think we'll get a gold with honours next year! I am looking forward to that :D

Sunday
Nothing much to do, except physics assignments. Read newspapers watched Tv, as usual.

I am HUNGRY.