10-17 December 2005 ROCIP Thailand Trip
Haha as promised, shall blog about my Thailand Trip but unfortunately there'll be no photos until Rotarian Mr Calvin sends them to us coz' the camera I borught there wasn't working LAR.
THE DAY BEFORE
Couldn't sleep so was packing my stuff. I prepared a notbook for writing stuff and one of my eyelashes dropped out when I rubbed my eyes. So, I measured it for fun and realised it was 1.1cm and pasted it on the first page when I wrote my name and wrote beside it, "Who else but WAIMIN has such long eyelashes?" HAHAH
10 DECEMBER
Woke up in the morning, double-checked my stuff and went to airport. Shi Hui was there to send me off. First plane from Singapore to Bangkok I sat with Sakinah and Syazanna (both from Yusoff-Ishak Secondary School) and the second plane from Bangkok I sat between 2 unknown thai ladies.
One was reading "The One Minute Manager" in thai while the other was an ah-lian reading a thai fashion mag. I was bored so I cut my fingernails.
When we arrived in Chiang Mai, we took a pick-up truck to our youth hostel. I shared a room with 2 girls from Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School, Ann Na and Melissa. In the hostel room, there was an attached bathroom, a TV(got channel U programs!), and aircon and a small wardrobe. It was pretty good.
11 DECEMBER
Morning woke up quite early and had breakfast of scrambled eggs and toasted bread... Then they drove us to BIG C shopping Centre to let us stock up on snacks and stuff.
I shopped with Yvonne (17 yr old girl from HCJC who later became my best friend there) because the others had to change their $$$ into baht. I bought candies for the kids there and lots of chewing gum. I also bought lemon flavoured and salmon flavoured potato chips. HAHA.. (Now I still haven't opened those 2 bags of chips)
Following that was a 3 hour ++ trip to the village where about 40 families of Karen Tribal people lived. It's called Pha Taek Village but we call it Baan Pha Taek. Baan means something like home. The Village was on the mountains and as we drove further up it got colder.
When we arrived there we put our things down and went on a tour around the small village and we played at the river with the kids. The river's water was freezing cold and we played there for 1-2 hours there.
When we got back we bathed and we met at the Centre there so that we can all go to a Christmas Party... Yvonne and I went back to get our things so we went to the party after they went, slightly later.
Haha it was quite funny, the host spoke mostly in thai, he was promoting Christianity... We didn't understand thai but we laughed whenever they laughed. Very naturally.
Went back with Ann, Di and the rest(thai villagers) and Yvonne. They started a campfire and we sat there till the fire died down.
12 DECEMBER
Woke up at 4 plus today coz' I had duty and I didn't know the time. I went out of my host's house and it was pitch dark. Really dark until sheng1 shou3 bu4 jian4 wu3 zhi3 that kind. So I used my torch.
It was freezing cold and I waited and waited and waited and watched the sunrise. After that did work and discussion and stuff with my group members, Melissa Ong Li Rong, Ang Ann Na and Chan Wei Jie, original name, Chan Rui Jie. These 3, later were very mean to me and Yvonne.
After that my group went to the river with some kids and Ann... Ann was very nice to me and I think The Fat One (Melissa Ong) was jealous.
13 DECEMBER
Did project and some people (started with The Fat One and The Butch), The butch is Ann Na, started saying that Yvonne likes Chan Wei Jie. I didn't join in. But Melissa Ong seemed like she wanted to pull me to their side so we can all gossip about Yvonne.
I rejected her request for me to go to their house to sleep.
Nearly completed our project. I learnt a bit of thai too! The badmouthing of Yvonne became really bad then. And they started to leave me out too. But who careS?
I am really starting to hate them.
M & AN from Paya Lebar Methodist Girls
BL from VJC
SY and WJ from HCJC
The thing is, I feel so unjust. It's only been a few days and how much do they know about us?! How can they do this to us.
But never mind la. haha
Coz' they got their retribution. no kiddin'
14 DECEMBER
went to watch the process of making ferilizers in the morning and we went to their school there. Outside was something like Pasar Malam and Yvonne and I bought stuff and the rest were like saying, "buy so many things arh?" Like it's their business.
The badmouthing was getting worse.
Anyway, I didn't bathed coz' there wasn't any water heater and it was getting colder by the day. COlder. Freezing! We didn't sweat much in the cold so it was alright. It was probably about 10-15 degree celcius.
15 DECEMBER
We went to the coffee plantation there and I bought some coffee back for about $6. Then we went to the waterfall! The waterfall was really beautiful, but I didn't go in. Maybe i'll go there some other time.
After that we went to a village called Lao-Hu village where the village head was from China, about 19 yrs ago, he walked to thailand from China. He said he took 2 months. Life is much better for him now in thailand.
When we went back to our host house, Yvonne and I packed our things and found out that The FAt One, with Shu Yi, was eavesdropping on our conversation. They were outside and we didn't know until I played with my cap and started to jump around and looked out the window. Then I saw Melissa Ong Li Rong standing very near to our window and I stupidly said, "HI!" in a happy tone. She looked so shocked, then I realised what she had been doing.
WTF
In the evening, Village Head Yang came to our Pha Taek Village and talked to us. He's a pretty nice man. At the campfire, Ann and I hugged and hugged and I gave her stuff. She cried when she knew we were leaving.. I cried a teeny weeny bit too.. coz' she's really nice. I am going to write to her soon.
Haha, Yvonne and I went back early and we talked... When ShuYi came back to our house we pretended to be asleep. Then she left to sleep at Melissa Ong and Ann Na's host house and we started to talk again.
YEAH
16 DECEMBER
Woke up early and Ann came to bid goodbye to me before she left for school. I hugged her... so sad... I like Ann a lot! She is very very very nice.
Gave out Tshirts to the villagers and played with Kafe, a toddler of abt 2 years old. She's a cutie! I wanted to steal her back to Singapore! Hahaha.. Then went to back to the city. On the way we went to Big C again and then to the youth hostel.
Wah.. Once we got there we bathed, bathed and bathed. Then we chatted and chatted... until it's time for dinner HAHAHAAA. and I fell from my bed! i wanted to jump down from my bed but I tripped on Yvonne's sleeping bag's string. and I fell and laughed so hard that my jaw hurt coz' it was too funny.
Had dinner at a Chinese restaurant and went to a Night Bazzar. I spent all my money, like about 3000+++ baht? Bought lots of food and stuffs, like T-shirts, souvenirs, etc... Was very angry coz' some women refused to let us go unless we bought their stuff.
Then met the rest and had a drink at Starbucks. I bought a hot chocolate for 55 baht and also, 2 bars of chocolate. We took a pick-up back to the hostel.
Yvonne and I packed our stuff, had a small chat with Sakinah, and slept. But before we slept we chatted about lots of stuff, like what bad things happened to us, etc
17 DECEMBER
Woke up in hostel early and double-checked all stuff. I went to 7-11 with Yvonne while the rest went to the Soft Toy factory. We bought lots of things and I spent about 365 Baht. haha I bought one bottle of chewing gum, 6 packs of chewing gum, 3 snacks, 1 mirror, etc etc.
Then we took a walk back to the hostel and found the rest were not back yet so we went back to our room. Next we took a pick-up to the airport and I stuffed my chewing gum (chewed one) in one of their bags, since they were so mean to us. Yvonne and I laughed like mad!
But alas, the trip was short lar! We were on our way home! boy, I was SO GLAD. in the airport The Fat One asked us for our address and numbers but I wrote wrong ones. I told Yvonne, "Wo contact ni jiu gou le." which I think is really true. Why should I contact those people ever again?
Took the plane back.. Had a long nap and arrived in Singapore at 6 plus. Family came to fetch me.
Once I got home I ate and ate and ate. and BATHED. So typical of me
THE DAY BEFORE
Couldn't sleep so was packing my stuff. I prepared a notbook for writing stuff and one of my eyelashes dropped out when I rubbed my eyes. So, I measured it for fun and realised it was 1.1cm and pasted it on the first page when I wrote my name and wrote beside it, "Who else but WAIMIN has such long eyelashes?" HAHAH
10 DECEMBER
Woke up in the morning, double-checked my stuff and went to airport. Shi Hui was there to send me off. First plane from Singapore to Bangkok I sat with Sakinah and Syazanna (both from Yusoff-Ishak Secondary School) and the second plane from Bangkok I sat between 2 unknown thai ladies.
One was reading "The One Minute Manager" in thai while the other was an ah-lian reading a thai fashion mag. I was bored so I cut my fingernails.
When we arrived in Chiang Mai, we took a pick-up truck to our youth hostel. I shared a room with 2 girls from Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School, Ann Na and Melissa. In the hostel room, there was an attached bathroom, a TV(got channel U programs!), and aircon and a small wardrobe. It was pretty good.
11 DECEMBER
Morning woke up quite early and had breakfast of scrambled eggs and toasted bread... Then they drove us to BIG C shopping Centre to let us stock up on snacks and stuff.
I shopped with Yvonne (17 yr old girl from HCJC who later became my best friend there) because the others had to change their $$$ into baht. I bought candies for the kids there and lots of chewing gum. I also bought lemon flavoured and salmon flavoured potato chips. HAHA.. (Now I still haven't opened those 2 bags of chips)
Following that was a 3 hour ++ trip to the village where about 40 families of Karen Tribal people lived. It's called Pha Taek Village but we call it Baan Pha Taek. Baan means something like home. The Village was on the mountains and as we drove further up it got colder.
When we arrived there we put our things down and went on a tour around the small village and we played at the river with the kids. The river's water was freezing cold and we played there for 1-2 hours there.
When we got back we bathed and we met at the Centre there so that we can all go to a Christmas Party... Yvonne and I went back to get our things so we went to the party after they went, slightly later.
Haha it was quite funny, the host spoke mostly in thai, he was promoting Christianity... We didn't understand thai but we laughed whenever they laughed. Very naturally.
Went back with Ann, Di and the rest(thai villagers) and Yvonne. They started a campfire and we sat there till the fire died down.
12 DECEMBER
Woke up at 4 plus today coz' I had duty and I didn't know the time. I went out of my host's house and it was pitch dark. Really dark until sheng1 shou3 bu4 jian4 wu3 zhi3 that kind. So I used my torch.
It was freezing cold and I waited and waited and waited and watched the sunrise. After that did work and discussion and stuff with my group members, Melissa Ong Li Rong, Ang Ann Na and Chan Wei Jie, original name, Chan Rui Jie. These 3, later were very mean to me and Yvonne.
After that my group went to the river with some kids and Ann... Ann was very nice to me and I think The Fat One (Melissa Ong) was jealous.
13 DECEMBER
Did project and some people (started with The Fat One and The Butch), The butch is Ann Na, started saying that Yvonne likes Chan Wei Jie. I didn't join in. But Melissa Ong seemed like she wanted to pull me to their side so we can all gossip about Yvonne.
I rejected her request for me to go to their house to sleep.
Nearly completed our project. I learnt a bit of thai too! The badmouthing of Yvonne became really bad then. And they started to leave me out too. But who careS?
I am really starting to hate them.
M & AN from Paya Lebar Methodist Girls
BL from VJC
SY and WJ from HCJC
The thing is, I feel so unjust. It's only been a few days and how much do they know about us?! How can they do this to us.
But never mind la. haha
Coz' they got their retribution. no kiddin'
14 DECEMBER
went to watch the process of making ferilizers in the morning and we went to their school there. Outside was something like Pasar Malam and Yvonne and I bought stuff and the rest were like saying, "buy so many things arh?" Like it's their business.
The badmouthing was getting worse.
Anyway, I didn't bathed coz' there wasn't any water heater and it was getting colder by the day. COlder. Freezing! We didn't sweat much in the cold so it was alright. It was probably about 10-15 degree celcius.
15 DECEMBER
We went to the coffee plantation there and I bought some coffee back for about $6. Then we went to the waterfall! The waterfall was really beautiful, but I didn't go in. Maybe i'll go there some other time.
After that we went to a village called Lao-Hu village where the village head was from China, about 19 yrs ago, he walked to thailand from China. He said he took 2 months. Life is much better for him now in thailand.
When we went back to our host house, Yvonne and I packed our things and found out that The FAt One, with Shu Yi, was eavesdropping on our conversation. They were outside and we didn't know until I played with my cap and started to jump around and looked out the window. Then I saw Melissa Ong Li Rong standing very near to our window and I stupidly said, "HI!" in a happy tone. She looked so shocked, then I realised what she had been doing.
WTF
In the evening, Village Head Yang came to our Pha Taek Village and talked to us. He's a pretty nice man. At the campfire, Ann and I hugged and hugged and I gave her stuff. She cried when she knew we were leaving.. I cried a teeny weeny bit too.. coz' she's really nice. I am going to write to her soon.
Haha, Yvonne and I went back early and we talked... When ShuYi came back to our house we pretended to be asleep. Then she left to sleep at Melissa Ong and Ann Na's host house and we started to talk again.
YEAH
16 DECEMBER
Woke up early and Ann came to bid goodbye to me before she left for school. I hugged her... so sad... I like Ann a lot! She is very very very nice.
Gave out Tshirts to the villagers and played with Kafe, a toddler of abt 2 years old. She's a cutie! I wanted to steal her back to Singapore! Hahaha.. Then went to back to the city. On the way we went to Big C again and then to the youth hostel.
Wah.. Once we got there we bathed, bathed and bathed. Then we chatted and chatted... until it's time for dinner HAHAHAAA. and I fell from my bed! i wanted to jump down from my bed but I tripped on Yvonne's sleeping bag's string. and I fell and laughed so hard that my jaw hurt coz' it was too funny.
Had dinner at a Chinese restaurant and went to a Night Bazzar. I spent all my money, like about 3000+++ baht? Bought lots of food and stuffs, like T-shirts, souvenirs, etc... Was very angry coz' some women refused to let us go unless we bought their stuff.
Then met the rest and had a drink at Starbucks. I bought a hot chocolate for 55 baht and also, 2 bars of chocolate. We took a pick-up back to the hostel.
Yvonne and I packed our stuff, had a small chat with Sakinah, and slept. But before we slept we chatted about lots of stuff, like what bad things happened to us, etc
17 DECEMBER
Woke up in hostel early and double-checked all stuff. I went to 7-11 with Yvonne while the rest went to the Soft Toy factory. We bought lots of things and I spent about 365 Baht. haha I bought one bottle of chewing gum, 6 packs of chewing gum, 3 snacks, 1 mirror, etc etc.
Then we took a walk back to the hostel and found the rest were not back yet so we went back to our room. Next we took a pick-up to the airport and I stuffed my chewing gum (chewed one) in one of their bags, since they were so mean to us. Yvonne and I laughed like mad!
But alas, the trip was short lar! We were on our way home! boy, I was SO GLAD. in the airport The Fat One asked us for our address and numbers but I wrote wrong ones. I told Yvonne, "Wo contact ni jiu gou le." which I think is really true. Why should I contact those people ever again?
Took the plane back.. Had a long nap and arrived in Singapore at 6 plus. Family came to fetch me.
Once I got home I ate and ate and ate. and BATHED. So typical of me
<< Home